Based out of Clark Elementary in New Tampa Florida, Pack 142 provides a healthy, fun and educational atmosphere for boys in the 1st to 5th grade to learn the skills of Scouting. The Scouting year begins in September but we welcome new joins throughout the year. If you are new to the area don’t be afraid to go the Contact Us link to receive more information. You are welcome to attend a pack or den meeting to see how you like it.
Pack meetings are held at Clark Elementary’s All Purpose Room the 3rd Thursday of each month at 6:30. Check the Calendar tab above for changes.
Just a friendly reminder that this Saturday is our Hot Dog Social. Everyone who is able should come out, make new friends, and get together as dens to discuss the rest of the scouting year. Here’s what you need to know:
Hot Dog Social
Saturday Sept 13, 10am-12noon
USF Riverfront Park (just off Fletcher Ave)
Cost: $100 (dues) + $10 for pack tShirt (optional)
Dress: Field Uniform (if you have them)
Food: Pack providing Hotdog Lunch, Apples, Bottled Water
Activities: Scavenger Hunt, Lunch, Large Open Field, Slider Craft
It’s beginning to look like a great year. Can’t wait to see you all Saturday.
It was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for expressing your interest in scouting. You are embarking on an adventure with your sons that will influence the rest of their lives.
This Tuesday we will be holding an orientation to answer all your questions about cub scouts and our Pack operates. There’s a lot of information to process getting started with scouting, and this will be the easiest way to cover everything including camping, activities, dens, costs, uniforms, and any other questions you are sure to have.
New Family Orientation
Tuesday, September 9th, 6:30pm
Clark Elementary Cafeteria
Also, please mark your calendars for the following
Hot Dog Social
Outdoor games and lunch, social gathering
Saturday September 13, 10am-12noon
USF Riverfront Park
September Pack Meeting
Tuesday September 16th, 6:30pm-7:30pm
Lastly, Cub Scouts is more fun with friends. Be sure to invite a friend you think might be interested and bring them along to the orientation.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Pack 142 Committee Chair
Ice, in Florida, in Summer… is there anything more incongruous. Time to go ice skating while we wrestle with the implications…
Here’s what you need to know
Saturday Aug 2, 12n-2p,
Brandon Ice Sports.
10222 Elizabeth Pl, Tampa, FL 33619
Cost: $9 / skater
Uniform: Activity uniforms (pack tShirts)
Siblings: The whole family is welcome to skate
Food is not included, but they have a full snack bar with pizza and burgers. Some of us are planning to arrive around 11am to get lunch before skating.
As always, let me know if you have any questions.
Our summer marches on, and an army marches on it’s stomach, so………
We will be taking a tour of the local Pizza Hut this Saturday. The cubs will be allowed behind the counter, check out all the equipment used to deliver hot, tasty food, then get to make a pizza themselves. Nothing tastes as sweet as food you make yourself. Here’s what you need to know.
*Please RSVP if you think you can attend. I need a headcount for the Manager.
Pizza Hut (in Publix Shopping Center)
19010 Bruce B Downs Blvd Tampa, FL 33647
Saturday July 12, 10:30am – 11:30am
Cost: $5 (personal pizza & drink), extra food can be ordered afterwards.
Uniform: Please wear your Field uniform (class A / Formal) if you have them.
Siblings: Space is limited to whatever the Manager will safely allow. Scouts get priority, and siblings can fill any extra space. They are welcome to come and enjoy brunch, but they may not get to participate in the tour.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Hopefully you will be recovered from the 4th so that you don’t miss out on Roller Skating. Here’s what you need to know.
Saturday July 5
United Skates of America
5121 N. Armenia Ave, Tampa, 33603
$8.00 / skater (includes lesson, skate rental, plus the Kids Fun Skate Session)
Uniform: Activity Uniform (pack tshirt if you have one, no worries if you don’t yet)
See you there.
Our next summer activity is approaching, silent, but deadly.
Here’s what you need to know
Saturday June 26th, @ 10am
Lettuce Lake Park
6920 E Fletcher AVE., Tampa, FL 33637
Join park rangers for themed hands-on workshops exploring elements of nature.
Price: $5 per child and one adult; $2 park entry up to eight people. Cash only.
Please wear your Field Uniforms (Class A, full uniform).
We had our last den meeting of the scout year on 5/27. This was an open meeting where scouts could present anything they wanted to the den. We did the following:
- we reviewed the boy scout law, which your scout will need to be able to do from memory for the arrow of light award.
- talked about the circuits we built in the previous meeting and some scouts cam up with some interesting experiments to try out with their circuits.
- May 15 – June 15 is Tourette’s Syndrome Awareness month. Ben W. gave a great presentation on Tourette’s, explaining what it is, and also what it isn’t. He handed out t-shirts and bands for TSA. This presentation fulfills requirement #1 for the disabilities awareness belt loop. If your scout would like to complete the requirements, he will need to complete #2 and #3 from the requirements:
Visit with a friend, family member, classmate, or other person with disabilities. Find out what this person enjoys and what this person finds difficult.
Attend a disabilities event such as an Easter Seals event, Special Olympics, a performance with sign language interpretation, an activity with Guiding Eyes dogs, or a wheelchair race. Tell your adult leader what you thought about the experience.
Make a display about one or more disabilities. It can include physical, learning, or mental challenges. Share the display at a pack meeting.
- We did a crossword puzzle on the arrow of light to remind the boys what we will be working on in the fall.
- we discussed upcoming summertime activities – if your scout participate in at least one event for each of the summer months (June, July, and August), he will earn a summertime activity award pin. Activities scheduled so far are:
6/10 – ice cream social at West Meadows Park
6/28 – animal presentation at Lettuce Lake Park
7/4 – 4th of July parade in Temple Terrace (tentative)
7/5 – roller skating
7/12 – pizza parlor tour/lunch
7/23 – bowling
8/2 – ice skating
8/17 – pool party
Please check the website calendar (www.pack142.com) for details!
Finally, we discussed some things your scout can do over the summer if he so desires… here are some great ideas:
1. finish the webelos badge requirements if not completed already, and start reviewing the arrow of light requirements.
2. continue working on activity badges for compass emblem/points/super achiever badge
3. work on the world conservation badge (http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/worldcons.asp)
4. work on the leave no trace award (http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/leavenotrace.asp)
5. work on the outdoor activity award (http://www.usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/Outdoor-Activity.asp)
6. work on the emergency preparedness pin (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/Publications/EmergencyPreparedness/award.aspx)
7. work on the cub scout nova (http://www.scouting.org/stem/Awards/CubScout.aspx)
and/or supernova award (http://www.scouting.org/stem/Awards/Webelos.aspx)
8. work on belt loops and/or pins.
Be sure and let your den leader know when you complete any award requirements
Den and Pack meetings will resume in the fall with the hot dog social. If there are any questions, please let me know.
Thanks, and have a great summer!
Our last Pack meeting for the year will be a big one. Pack 142 is having an end of year show for the boys featuring Fritz the one-man-circus.
Be sure you don’t miss this one. It starts at the regular time of 6:30, don’t be late.
Also, a friendly reminder that Friday May 16th is potluck Movie night at the Parker’s house. Bring a dish serving 6-8 at 6pm. Also bring your camp chairs & bug spray.
8204 Stockton Way, Tampa Fl.
And lastly, Fishing is Saturday May 17th, 9am, at Cypress Point Park. Pack has poles if you don’t, and we’ll provide the bait. Bathing suits. Just bring your poles and chairs, and sunscreen.
At tonight’s den meeting, we did the following:
- verified completed achievements toward the Webelos badge
- reviewed Webelos badge requirements
- played a word scramble game about Webelos badge requirements
- Our den chief, Noah, presented some information about weather safety for lightning, flash floods, and tornadoes
- reviewed Arrow of Light requirements
- reviewed the boy scout oath and worked on memorizing the first 4 points of the scout law.
Our next meeting will be on 4/29 at the Solorzano house.